The Application Process
Complete fully and submit all portions of the application, dental referral form, most recent tax Form 1040 (or SSI awards letter) and the $30 non-refundable application fee to Smiles Change Lives.
- Upon receipt of a COMPLETE application, the application will be reviewed and the family will be notified whether or not the child qualifies for the next step in the application process. If your application is INCOMPLETE,it will be rejected and returned to you. You can reapply by submitting a NEW, COMPLETE application, along with a new $30 non-refundable application fee.
- If the child does qualify for the program, SCL program specialists will work to assign the child with a provider to perform a screening. The waiting period for this step of the program varies and can be longer than twelve (12) months based on area demand. When a screening provider becomes available, the family will receive a letter indicating when, where and how to schedule the screening appointment. (The screening provider may or may not be the same provider to treat your child if your child is accepted for treatment.)
- Once SCL has received the screening information, it will be reviewed by the SCL Review Panel and the family will be notified whether the child (i) is approved for the program, (ii) is declined for the program, or (iii) will need to be re-screened (due to poor dental hygiene, dental development, or other potential issues)
- If there are no openings in your area at the time of approval, you will be notified that you have been approved and that we are working to identify a treatment provider (who may be different than the screening provider) in your area for your child. The waiting period for this step of the program varies and can be longer than twelve (12) months based on area demand. Likewise, treatment providers are limited in some areas, and SCL cannot make any guarantees regarding placement.
- Once a treatment provider is identified for your child, you will be notified and will have 30 days in which to pay the $600 program administration fee. If this fee is not received by SCL within 30 days of notification, your child will lose his/her provider placement and will be returned to the waiting list until another treatment provider has an opening.
- If the payment is received within 30 days, the child will be assigned to an SCL treatment provider and will be on their way to a healthy, happy smile!