Smiles Change Lives (SCL) connects caring orthodontic providers with qualified and motivated children in need of braces. SCL orthodontic providers offer quality treatment and healthy smiles to children approved for our program. Children applying for our program must meet the qualifications noted below and be motivated to follow their orthodontist’s treatment plan, which averages between 20 and 36 months.
Children and families are welcome to apply for treatment through SCL, regardless of where in the U.S. they reside. SCL works with families and treatment providers throughout the U.S. and Canada.
NOTE: SCL provides for orthodontic treatment ONLY. Extractions, cleanings, oral surgery or other treatment that may be necessary before, during or after orthodontic treatment are the financial responsibility of the patient’s parents or guardians.
- Be 10-18 years of age;
- Have “good” oral hygiene;
- Have no unfilled cavities;
- Have a moderate to severe need for braces;
- Not be wearing braces currently;
- Family must meet the SCL financial guidelines (varies by geographic location); and
- Be willing to pay the non-refundable $30 (USD) application fee and the non-refundable $600 (USD) required financial investment (per child).
If you have determined that your child is a good candidate for our program, you are now ready to begin the application process. The application can be completed online or offline.
BEFORE you begin though, there are several required documents that will be submitted as part of the application process. Having them at the beginning of the process will save you time and help with planning.
- Photos Required (download instructions and examples)
- Explanation from child (This is an opportunity for your child/the applicant to describe in their own words why it is important for them to get braces and what it will mean to them personally.)
- Letter from Parent/Guardian (Let us know why it is important to you for this child/applicant to have braces)
- Federal Income Tax Return or Supplemental Security Income Awards letter (Financial and Tax Info)
- Check website to determine current wait time for your area
Complete application offline – print, complete and mail application:
In addition to the application, you will notice that the download also contains detailed instructions, a checklist to help you complete the application fully, and some consent forms to complete.
NOTE: SCL only accepts the current version of our application. Download a current application by clicking the button above. In addition, all applications received will be subject to the most current fee structure regardless of the fees specified on the application submitted.
Complete application online:
While the online application can be done on a cell phone, you will find it easier and possibly faster if done on a desktop PC.
We have also compiled an Application Checklist to follow that explains the required items in greater detail. We recommend you review the Program & Application Process Overview before you begin the online application.
When your application arrives at the SCL office, it will be reviewed to determine if it is complete and if your child meets our program’s requirement guidelines. In some cases, the applications are submitted to a review panel. Those that are determined to qualify, will be notified via both US Mail and through email. This process can take up to three weeks. Please be patient. Should there be any missing or incomplete information, your application will be returned with an explanation.
Do you live in Coffey, Lyon or Osage County in Kansas? Please visit our Jones Foundation page to download an application for braces.